Thursday, February 5, 2009

Foreclosed Homes Looted by Owners in this DEPRESSION


Some owners of foreclosed homes are stealing appliances and leaving the houses damaged and in disarray, bringing down their already-sagging values, MyFOXOrlando.com reported.

Real estate agents are complain the trashed houses are harder to sell.

Homeowners angry at banks that are forcing them out have been hauling items from their houses and selling them, the station said. They're also damaging walls and floors.

A house off Lee Vista in southeast Orange County, Fla., for instance, is missing its air conditioner, countertops, all the appliances and even the kitchen sink, according to MyFOXOrlando.com. There are stains on the rug and walls marked with crayon and punctured with holes punched into them.

"There's nothing left. They took the kitchen sink," said Orlando-area real estate agent Josh Dubin of Keller Williams.
Photos of damaged houses
The home sold for nearly $400,000 two years ago, when it was brand new. Now, the bank will be lucky to get $169,900 for it, the station reported.

Foreclosed Homes Looted by Owners
Dubin said about one in five foreclosed homes is in a state of disarray, lowering their market value even further.

"It's these people on their way out who will sell all their appliances for $500 because they need the cash," he told the TV station.
Link

9 comments:

  1. I do not feel sorry for the banks. If they tried harder to work with people stay in their homes by negotiating a better agreement that good for both parties then they would not be in this mess. I do not condone vandalism, this is illegal, but I can understand the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wrong! Two words, character and integrity. I feel we have lost both. We condone evil and call it good. We blame Washington. Yes they are to blame, but it starts at home. Do we teach our children such
    madness. No! For what ever reason, if I lost my home, I would leave it better than I got it. James Van Patten

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bankers do not have character nor integrity. To make as much money for thier business and stockholders is the bottom line. "Its not personal, it's just business."
    Well, working for years to buy a personal home is personal. Then to lose it to a godless corporate financial structure is what the linear financial thinking is all about. So reclaim what you can from "your" house. Sell the counter tops, the appliances, the garage door and the heat pump. Then write on the wall a note to the bankers: "I stripped the house because I needed the money to move my family and provide for their welfare, nothing personal it is just family business."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bankers do not have character nor integrity. To make as much money for thier business and stockholders is the bottom line. "Its not personal, it's just business."
    Well, working for years to buy a personal home is personal. Then to lose it to a godless corporate financial structure is what the linear financial thinking is all about. So reclaim what you can from "your" house. Sell the counter tops, the appliances, the garage door and the heat pump. Then write on the wall a note to the bankers: "I stripped the house because I needed the money to move my family and provide for their welfare, nothing personal it is just family business."

    What that person said. I don't fault them for selling appliances and counter tops. I don't condone ripping up walls, drawing on them, and doing structural damage. I can see why someone moving out might not do a deep cleaning, but I don't think it sends any kind of effective message to vandalize the home you're leaving--especially since the bankers will never likely see the interior anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I have to leave my house, you can bet that I would take all my appliances for sure, possibly any of my high priced lighting fixtures as well. I agree that to vandalize the walls and be destructive doesn't do well for anyone involved. Also this is nothing new, I looked at foreclosed homes to buy about 11 years ago, same state of mind then, completely trashed, missing toilets, counters, no carpet etc., there are just more foreclosed home now which is why it's more noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are like the grinch, taking everything even a crump.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much stuff can the homeless fit into that shopping cart?

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I were to loose my home, I would not want anyone else to enjoy what I work so hard for. It is not a matter of the banks seeing the property destroyed. It has to do with them loosing more money instead of negotiating with homeowners and working with them to stay in their homes. Many people have lost their jobs, their businesses, & on top of that, you are dealing with bastards who gives a shit about your situation!

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is encouraged to participate with civilized comments.