Friday, February 3, 2012

Dissecting Romney’s Statement: What Are Problems the Middle-Class Has That the Poor Don’t?



I’m sure you’ve seen the latest by Mitt Romney. On CNN he said:

“I’m in this race because I care about Americans. I’m not concerned about the very poor, we have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich, they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the very heart of America, the 90-95% of Americans that are struggling.”

He clarified by saying:
“I’m sure there are places where people fall between the cracks,” Romney said. “And finding those places is one of the things that is the responsibility of government. We do have a very ample safety net in America, with Medicaid, housing vouchers, food stamps, earned income tax credit. We have a number of ways of helping the poor. And yet my focus and the area that I think is the greatest challenge that the country faces right now is not, is not to focus our effort on how we help the poor as much as to focus our effort on how to help the middle class in America, and get more people in the middle class and get people out of being poor and becoming middle income.” Read more....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone is encouraged to participate with civilized comments.