Sunday, August 22, 2010
10 Credible Conspiracy Theories?
1. Chemtrails: In the world of Patriot antigovernment paranoia, New World Order forces attempt to manipulate and control the unwitting population from every conceivable source and direction -- from the images on your television screen to the very water that comes out of your kitchen tap. In recent years, the New World Order has been meddling most nefariously from above, high among the clouds.
We're certainly not wedded to the idea that Western governments are deliberately spraying poisons into the air regularly or trying to manipulate the weather with a secret intel-op/ airforce program. On the other hand, we did a little digging and found the following reported by the UK Guardian, a mainstream, left-wing paper in Britain (one from which we occasionally excerpt articles) Here's the report, from an April 2002 article, "Millions were in germ war tests ... Much of Britain was exposed to bacteria sprayed in secret trials."
2. Martial Law: If Patriot groups fear anything more than the water vapor in the sky, it is the imminent imposition of martial law. A longstanding and central plank of the Patriot catechism is the belief that one day – very soon! – federal forces, in league with the states, will suspend constitutional government and institute a police state.
3. FEMA Concentration Camps: Following the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City by Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Domestic Terrorism held hearings on the Patriot/militia subculture that bred and nurtured the bombers. Throughout the hearings, a running theme expressed by Patriots was a fear that "urban gangs," directed by Washington and possibly acting in concert with U.N. and foreign troops, would sweep in from the coasts, confiscate their guns, and round them up.
4. Foreign Troops on U.S. Soil ... While "urban gangs" are considered a leading candidate to enforce a New World Order (NWO) lockdown, they are not the only threatening force clouding the Patriot mind.
5. 'Door-to-Door' Gun Confiscations: One of the defining features of Patriot/militia subculture is an obsession with firearms. Patriot groups stockpile them, train using them, and, perhaps most of all, worry about losing them. Any attempt to restrain their gun rights is viewed as the thin-edge-wedge of a New World Order crackdown.
6. 9/11 as Government Plot ... The Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C., were seen by both the far left and far right as fitting the bill for an intentional "crisis trigger."
7. Population Control ... For the conspiracy-minded, there is no such thing as an accidental tragedy or historical caprice. Each epidemic, mass industrial poisoning and medical advance (vaccinations, in particular) is just another highly suspicious example of the latest technologies being employed to further the agenda of hidden New World Order forces.
8. HAARP: This is the "Death Star" of the Patriot conspiracy galaxy, around which so many other conspiracies orbit and often intersect. According to the U.S. government, the High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program is a joint scientific research project of the Air Force and Navy, based in Gakona, Ala., whose stated purpose is "studying the properties and behavior of the ionosphere..
9. The Federal Reserve Conspiracy: It wasn't long after its creation under Woodrow Wilson that the Federal Reserve System became a central fixture in the world of right-wing conspiracy. It was seen, rightly, as introducing European-style central banking into the United States.
10. The North American Union: Since the passage of NAFTA in 1993, fears of economic dislocation and loss of sovereignty have animated both sides of the political spectrum.